Paper Cuts project
As you probably know, the Ubuntu team has started the project
They a paper cut as:
- a bug, or an unintended problem occurring within an existing piece of software,
- the presence of which makes a computer more difficult or less pleasant to use,
- that is easy to fix,
- that the average user would encounter during his/her first day of using
XWiki is a great software but it contains also a lot of "paper cuts". Such little but annoying bugs or usability issues would be a great entry point for new XWiki developers, because they are easy to fix. But also experienced XWiki committers could relax fixing these paper cuts after their hard work.
So far we have identified some easy-to-fix bugs and marked them as easy in JIRA. We could decide that the trivial category we have corresponds to paper cuts:
See also the JIRA task.
Here's some work to be done:
- Review existing issues and verify the difficulty is correctly set
- Add these custom fields to all projects in JIRA
- Prepare a page on dev.xwiki.org to explain this Paper Cut thing
- Promote it on the XWiki mailing lists, twitter, etc